Friday, 21 August 2015

Sun printing silver mine bead quilt

I bought some lovely shiny grey silk with a rough texture and had a great plan in mind for a grey, silver, black and red bead quilt. When I got all the beads together I suddenly didn't like the shiny material! Cue afternoon spent dying another piece of fabric. I used a technique called sun printing. Basically you paint your fabric with a watered down fabric paint, lay objects on top of it and leave it out in the sun to dry. As the fabric dries it pulls the liquid from under the objects along with the paint leaving paler patches. Acrylic paint works well too.

I began with plain white poly cotton and daubed it with two different greys and some white. Then I laid it outside with some leaves weighted down with stones.


This is how it looked when it had dried and been washed.


Here's a close up of one of the fern type leaves. I'm really pleased with it.


The little leaves came out slightly strangely but I like them.


Here's the fabric with its border. I did finally use the shiny grey material for the border.


That's it ready for beading. I'll post the finished piece later.

No comments:

Post a Comment